Emily Trelford

My Educational Blog

Peer Review – for Ruijie, Aini, Yuqi and Yiran

Hello Ruijie, Aini, Yuqi and Yiran! I am going to peer review this as I read.

An overview of the resource

To begin, I love your choice of topic! I hadn’t even thought of food being a topic that would work. Well done! I don’t think this part needs any work, it is clear and concise.

A description and rationale for the learning theory

I like how you noted that behaviourism does not fit in to your topic. This already gives me an idea on how your resource will be structured. I think this section is very clear as well!

A description and rationale for the learning design

I agree with your choice of learning design, open pedagogies is a great way to get students to complete your resource asynchronously.

A description of your learning context

This part is well done as well. Simple and to the point!

Learning outcomes

I think these learning outcomes fit very well. One thing, the third outcome, “Be able to distinguish more quickly the difference between Hunan and Sichuan cuisine” is a little similar to number 2, “Distinguish the differences between the food cultures of Sichuan and Hunan and be able to list the representative foods of each place.”

I might suggest changing #2 to “Distinguish the differences between the food cultures of Sichuan and Hunan” and then change #3 to “be able to list the representative foods of each place”. 

Brief commentary about each topic and activity

Forum Post:s I think this is a great idea. I might suggest posing a few questions to the students, depending on what you want to come out of these blog posts. This can help to direct them towards what you want accomplished of their learning.

I love all the resources like the videos and articles that you found! There are so many, great job.

I might suggest finding another activity, rather than just three blog posts. I’m not 100% sure though, because your assessment is based on the 3 posts. You could try 2 posts and maybe a “field trip” where the participants have to go out and try either the Szechuan or Hunan cuisine? I think that would be so fun!

An overview of your assessment plan

I think this grading makes sense. I like that the presentation aspect isn’t so heavily graded, sometimes people can get nervous for this aspect!

Somewhere in your resource, I might like you to mention how long the course is. Whether it’s a Monday-Friday course, or a couple weeks, I’m just a bit confused about the timeline of it all. As well, I am unsure if this resource would be suitable for elementary aged children. Maybe a quick review of which ages are best? I might suggest grade 8 and up.

An overview of your plans to design for inclusion of diverse learners.

I think that these two choices for the diverse learners is smart. Your whole resource seems to be designed around these two choices, which I have noticed throughout! Really well done.

Also, I learned a new word – Cursory. Cool!

A rationale for your technology choices.

I think the technology you have chosen fits well with your topic. Easy to access, and easy to understand, no matter the language. One thing that I am a bit confused on is the format of the whole course. Is it online or in person? Is it via a WordPress blog that you will set up like Colin’s website? Just a little clarification on this would help, I think.

Other than that, wow! A really great resource. You all did so well and I am excited to see the final product of it all!