Emily Trelford

My Educational Blog

Post #5 – EDCI 338 Community Contributions

In response to Kiana:

Staying Connected & Aware Through My PLN

Kiana, wow! I am so impressed with your blog this week. It is evident that you spent a lot of time on this post, so it’s clear this topic is very important to you. I can’t believe how many resources and Tweets you shared! It’s crazy how just looking up one hashtag on Twitter can give us access to hundreds of posts about that topic. With all the Tweets using a single hashtag, I think it’s important to be cautious with what we see. We might see a Tweet about residential schools with totally false information, but a quick background check to the account can let us know that they are stirring up controversy for no reason. When we see a tweet from an Indigenous Elder, we know that the information is accurate!

Overall, a really great post this week. You had some very insightful thoughts in this one, and I enjoyed reading it. Again, thank you for all these resources. I will be checking all of them out and adding some accounts to my PLN!

In response to Breanne:

The Power of a PLN

I really took what you said in our Mattermost chat to heart – about Brad Baker saying that for true change to happen, you need to be vulnerable. I wrote about this in my post as well. I think that this is a huge part of our B.Ed program as well, in being vulnerable and accepting to change. If we are unable to do this, how are we able to teach future generations to? We have to practice what we preach as teachers!

I remember in one of our classes this past semester, Breanne, we talked a lot about embracing vulnerability and it’s importance in the classroom. Being vulnerable is a very scary state. It leads to a lot of unknowns and further questioning. But by showing ourselves and our students that we are open to being vulnerable to whatever comes our way, the environment in our classrooms is very positive and accepting. We can teach students to embrace the awkward and uncomfy feelings that vulnerability gives us – which can lead us to be so open and accepting! Thanks for your great insights this week, Breanne!