Emily Trelford

My Educational Blog

Post #3 – EDCI 338 Community Contributions

In response to Molly:

Education with Inclusion and Community Engagement

Hi Molly! I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I thought it was interesting how in the first section you mentioned how it can be difficult to communicate about sensitive topics online due to the “cancel culture” that is apparent throughout social media platforms. I hadn’t thought of this as a way that social media could potentially challenge advocacy communications. It’s true, though. I know that I tend to steer clear from posting anything sensitive or controversial anywhere on my personal accounts for the fear of being misinterpreted or wrong about something. I would much rather be a viewer than a writer, although I’m trying to work towards being more of a resident on Twitter!

I like that you have asked yourself many questions throughout your writing – I found myself asking the same things! This is a great way to get ourselves and our peers to really start thinking about what we are reading about. You asked some really great questions too, good job! Where you say, “How much of that information is true and accurate” regarding the consistent flow of information on social media, is so true! I always catch myself reading something and thinking “hmmm, am I sure this is accurate?”. I quite like your idea of following multiple accounts that may contradict themselves in what they post, because it can allow us to curate our own opinions based on the information at hand.

You had some great insights in this post, well done Molly.