Emily Trelford

My Educational Blog

Post #3 – EDCI 335 Community Contributions

In response to Maya:

Prompt 3: Inclusive Interactive Learning Resource

Hi Maya! Right off the bat, I noticed that we both have used the same resource from The University of San Diego! That’s interesting that we both came across that resource. I really liked how easy the source was to read, and gave me some really great insight about inclusive education and it’s benefits.

When discussing your pod’s blue print, I like how you have identified the barriers that come with misconception checks, summarization tasks, quizzes, and final projects. I think that this is important when learning about a topic, so that we can find strategies to overcome these barriers. Including a UDL is a great strategy to overcome the barriers! It’s important when using a UDL or UDP that it isn’t just to check off the box of “yes I am inclusive!”. It’s about integrating it into each of the students’ learning, and the whole classroom, to ensure for an inclusive and equitable experience for all students. I have a really good resource for you to check out: a list of UDL Guidelines from cast.org that can help you to integrate any inclusive education strategy into a lesson or into the classroom. Hope that’s interesting!

In response to Omar:

Post 3: Inclusive Design

Hi Omar! Your pod’s blueprint sounds cool! I am interested in the part where you mention about providing opportunities for interaction with the material being learned. I like that your learners will have an opportunity to explore different questions that they might have, and then I really like how you have included a peer assessment portion at the end of the lesson as well.

When you mention how you must ensure that no individual is excluded from the learning process, I am wondering how your pod has discussed the strategies for doing so. You note that relevant information, material, resources, articles, images and explanations must be used, but how could this be used (for example) with a student who is non-verbal? You may have included more of these strategies in your blueprint, I’m just curious about your thoughts! These two resources have been super helpful in my understanding of how to use strategies for inclusive education: these strategies and benefits of inclusive education, and the UDL Guidelines for integrating it into a lesson or classroom, which I listed above in response to Maya. I enjoyed reading your response this week, hope these extra resources might be of interest to you!