Emily Trelford

My Educational Blog

Post #2 – EDCI 338 Community Contributions

In response to Sarah:

Blog #2 VandR Map

I really like how you included Fitbit in your map! I never thought to include this in mine, what a great idea.

It’s also interesting that you noted how many business’s use Instagram to advertise for hiring positions. I definitely see this all the time! I think that with our generation, a lot of people are using Instagram, I have an Instagram group chat with my whole B.Ed cohort and it’s super accessible (as everyone in our group had an account) and quite easy to use. I like that in this day and age, we can use these types of platforms for communication and the like.

I agree with your last statement about how what people post can hinder their employment opportunities. Some of the things I see people say online is very alarming, as you put it. I’m glad that through courses such as this one, we can learn about our online identities and how to keep a professional presence, so that the next time we want to post something, we can think twice about whether or not it’s a good idea!

In response to Hannah:

Blog #2- Personal Digital Identity vs Professional Digital Identity

Hannah, I have to say right off the bat that I struggled with my map as well! I think that this is totally okay, too. As we start to see more blog posts and other’s maps, our thoughts and reflections can start to change. Just like how you thought differently about your YouTube placement on the map after viewing mine, I definitely thought differently about my Netflix placement after seeing your map. I also hadn’t thought to include Google Docs, which is something I use pretty much all the time. Other than that, ours are very similar!

I also have the same thoughts about you when it comes to deleted pictures and content. I get anxious thinking about whether something is out there that a future employer can see, that either I haven’t thought to access to delete it, or I have deleted it but it’s still out there. I remember talking about this topic in our EDCI 336 class, and it was mentioned how content we have posted from being young and naive is often not a red flag to educational professionals + employers. They look for more recent postings and content that determine your more recent character and persona. Hopefully this is correct, and if so, I hope that can reduce some of our anxiety about our digital identity!